Saturday, April 17, 2010

Carpenter's Home

By Jonah S. Taylor

























Top: A Habitat volunteer from Alma College in Michigan writes a

message on the window frame of Melissa Carpenter's house. Photo by Jonah Taylor

Center: Melissa Carpenter (center) poses with Habitat volunteers

from Simmons College, an all-women's college, in Boston, Mass. Photo by Jonah Taylor

Bottom: Melissa Carpenter works with volunteers to brace

the frame of her home-to-be. Photo by Jonah Taylor


Melissa Carpenter’s life-long dream is being built right before her very eyes. Since she was a child, she dreamed of owning her own home, a dream that was tested four and half years ago after one of the most catastrophic national disasters in American history.


“I lost everything because when the hurricane hit we were basically using my furniture and stuff so it was pretty devastating,” said the 41-year-old. Carpenter, along with her mother and sister, were forced to live with relatives for three years after Hurricane Katrina. Now, the Hattiesburg Area Habitat for Humanity is making her dream a reality by simply doing what it always does—granting the keys to homeownership, one board at a time.

Carpenter was eventually approved after applying for the program at an orientation meeting last spring.

“Everyone, when you say Melissa’s name, says, ‘Yes, we know Melissa. She belongs to three churches and she’s a member of this and that and she gives of her time unselfishly…and we’ve seen that at Habitat as well,” Dixon said.

Carpenter has worked as the secretary of Student Activities at the University of Southern Mississippi for 13 years, helping numerous student organizations with events and projects. She’s involved with several charities like the American Red Cross, Big Brother Big Sister, American Heart Walk and Habitat For Humanity. She also advises five different campus clubs including the Southern Miss Campus Civitan Club, a community service organization.

“I love to volunteer. I think that’s my passion,” Carpenter said. “I like giving back to the community. I think it’s because I don’t have a lot of monetary funds and so I like to just help out wherever I can.”

Not only is her generous and hard working spirit an inspiration to others, so is her dream.

“This is a really important experience for me to be able to help somebody build their own home because my family has been trying to build a home for several years,” said Liz Kerlin, a student Habitat volunteer from USM. “And just hearing her talk about how much joy it’s bringing her, it hits home with me because I know that’s how it’s going to feel for my family when we finally get to move into a home that we built with our own hands.”

Despite her consistent devotion to others, Carpenter is not oblivious to the irony her situation beholds.

“You know, I always say God works in mysterious ways,” she said. “It’s different being on the receiving end. But sometimes I think why not, because you’ve given back to others. Now it’s your time to receive the blessings that God has for you.”


Interested in volunteering? Visit Hattiesburg Habitat For Humanity or Habitat For Humanity Int'l to begin making someone's dream home a reality.

Other links:

No comments:

Post a Comment